"What's the REAL DEAL about Masculinity?" Curriculum
Out of stock
Out of stockOn Demand
“What’s the REAL DEAL about Masculinity?” Curriculum
Each curriculum comes with
- DVD of 3 Scenarios USA films: Bitter Memories, Misunderstood and MANchild
- 82-page, 7 lesson “What’s the REAL DEAL About Masculinity?” Curriculum
The Scenarios USA “What’s the REAL DEAL about Masculinity?” curriculum has been evaluated as part of its use in a pilot program in school districts and community organizations in New York City, Cleveland, Ohio and the Rio Grande Valley in south Texas.
- Are you a teacher or community educator who works with teens?
- Do you believe students of all abilities can be active, engaged learners?
- Would you benefit from a standards-based interactive, multi-media curriculum that will help your students feel more connected to school and to you?
Our curriculum engages students in thinking critically about societal issues around masculinity such as:
- A “male job description” that can pressure young males and men with unrealistic and unnecessary expectations
- Young males and men being driven to succeed in the economy, academics, sports and leadership in ways that are not always feasible or desirable
- How young people’s attitudes and behaviors toward sex, sexuality and intimate relationships that are formed during adolescence can affect other areas of health and well-being
- The media sending young people and adults of both genders clear and calculated messages about what it means to be desirable, masculine or a “real man”
- Different societal pressures that may drive young people to gangs and violence or unhealthy relationships
- The impact of racism and economic downturn on the life chances of young men and women
- The possibility for reflection and alternative role models to redirect the course of a young person’s life
The objective of all the lessons around masculinity is to equip students with the vocabulary (such as “masculinity” and “gender”) to name and use the abstract concepts necessary for critical thinking and reflection.
Key lessons show that the Scenarios USA approach:
- Promotes higher level thinking and reflection skills
- Helps students build confidence in their voice
- Changes attitudes which are linked to sexual health risk and violence
- Improves students’ overall educational experience