In Classrooms Now!
Students are about to embark on a journey of self-reflection, critical awareness and creativity that will result in their having a clearer understanding of their identity, their power, their community and their potential. On student writer (or small group of writers) will be partnered with a Hollywood filmmaker and create film based on the winning submission.
We’re excited to be sharing with you the Scenarios USA “What’s the REAL DEAL about Place and Power?” curriculum and contest kit – everything Educators who have participated in our training workshops need to submit student work to this year’s contest!
About the Curriculum and Contest
Scenarios believes that young people are experts on what it means to be teenagers today. They have much to teach about sexual health and social justice issues. This curriculum invites students to unpack the concepts evoked by place and power and to create a final project that will challenge ideas around these complex concepts. By analyzing the issues, assets and possibilities of place, and reflecting on their own emotional, mental, relational and social strengths, students will come out of this work with a clearer idea of who they are now and who they want to be.
Educational outcomes for students grades 6-12
- Development of English Language Arts and Social Studies skills as aligned with the Common Core
- Application of higher level thinking skills, especially reflection and critical analysis, of real-life issues
- Increased school connectedness
- Change in attitude towards social justice issues and shift in ideology regarding identity
- Development of social emotional learning skills, including empathy, vital to preventing violence in schools and communities
- Creation of a narrative in response to the REAL DEAL curriculum question
Incentives for students to participate
- Each student writer receives a Certificate of Achievement and feedback on his or her submission
- Twelve finalists get special recognition on the Scenarios USA website
- All students who submit to the contest will have a chance to apply to be mentored on the set of the film produced in their community
- The student will have created and edited a narrative, which can be used as a creative sample
What happens if my student wins?
- Partner the winner(s) with a Hollywood filmmaker
- Facilitate the partnership as the winner(s) and the filmmaker develop the submission into a working script, which will be filmed in the student’s community in Spring / Fall 2014
- Give each winner a cash prize of $500 and letters of recommendation from Scenarios
- Train each winner in public speaking and advocacy
- Host a premiere of the new REAL DEAL films in NYC in early 2015 where each winner with their teacher, director and a parent / guardian is celebrated before an invited audience. All travel is covered.
Each student must include the following:
- Your Submission (script, story, or narrative art)
- Contest Entry Form (1 per student, even if entering as a group)
- Submission Cover Letter (1 per student or group) – Please use the Cover Letter Guidelines.
- Student Evaluation (1 per student, even if entering as a group) – This will be emailed to your teacher.
Please mail written submissions to:
Scenarios REAL DEAL Contest
80 Hanson Place, Suite 305
Brooklyn NY 11217
All components of a visual art submission must be digitally submitted: http://bit.ly/2013Submission.
Please contact us with questions or comments at 718-230-5125 or by email to email@example.com. Winners will be announced by March, 2014.